Obtaining a Library Card
- Register for a card at the checkout desk. You will be asked to present a photo identification showing your name and current address. Your first card is free; a fee of $1.50 is charged for a replacement card.
- Children and teens 18 and under must have their parent's signature in order to receive a card.
- Your library card may be used at most public libraries in Colorado.
Checking Out Materials
- You must present your library card or photo ID to check out materials.
- Books (except for children's holiday books, which have special limits during each holiday season), music CDs, books on tape and CD, and children's magazines and puppets are checked out for 21 days.
- DVDs, CD-ROMs, video games, and magazines are checked out for 7 days. Reference materials and newspapers cannot be checked out.
- A limit of 40 items may be checked out at one time on a library card (excluding eAudio and eBooks).
- Fines for overdue materials are 10 cents per day, and interlibrary loan items which are $1.00 per day. There is no grace period.
- Renewal of books, except as noted below, may be done in person by calling the renewal line (303-797-0566), or online at http://bemis.sirsi.net. To renew online, your library card number and PIN number are required. Please call the library (303-795-3961) or visit the checkout desk to get your PIN.
- All materials, except as noted below, may be renewed twice. The following materials may not be renewed: holiday books, any item on hold, Interlibrary loan items, eAudiobooks and eBooks.
- We cannot renew materials that were checked out at another library.
Colorado Library Card
- Bemis Public Library is a member of the Colorado Library Card (CLC) program and has reciprocal borrowing with other Colorado libraries. Non-resident cards with a CLC designation or photo IDs will be honored by Bemis Public Library once the patron’s name, address and phone have been entered into our database. Littleton residents will have their Bemis card honored in the same way at other libraries. When using other libraries, you must follow the rules of those libraries. Books may be checked out at any library and returned to any library within the CLC network.
- The Bemis Library collection includes over 180,000 items, including books, compact discs, books on tape, videos, DVDs, periodical subscriptions, digital downloads, newspapers (local, metropolitan area, and out-of-state) and a variety of other types of materials. Also available are books and audiovisual materials in a variety of foreign languages, including Spanish, Russian and Vietnamese, and a small number of books in Braille.
- The Bemis Public Library uses iBistro software from SirsiDynix for its on-line catalog, which can be accessed from any personal computer with Internet service at http://bemis.sirsi.net. Patrons who have their library card number and PIN can also view their library card record, renew materials and place holds on titles that are checked out*. Call the library (303-795-3961) or visit the checkout desk to get your PIN.
*If the title is not checked out, call the library to have it set aside for you.
- The reference area contains research materials with a special emphasis on business and genealogy. The library also offers a variety of on-line resources, some of which may be accessed at home as well as at the library. You may call the library with your reference questions or e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Staff provides training on computer information resources throughout the year.
- Information from the library's collection can be faxed to a customer's home or business. Non-library materials cannot be faxed for patrons. There is no public fax machine.
Services for the Disabled and Homebound
- For the visually impaired, the Library has large print books, books on tape and CD, and a magnifier with interchangeable lenses. The library's Sophie Bramley Sylvan Resource Center also has books available in Braille; a computer with a large monitor, Internet access, scanner and software which enables the computer to read printed materials aloud to the user; CCTV; Braille embosser; and other adaptive equipment for the visually impaired.
- Bemis Public Library has TTY (or TDD) access via 303-795-3913.
- The Library Without Walls program provides delivery of collection materials to homebound who live within the city limits of Littleton. Call the library (303-795-3961) to sign up for this service.
Scheduling Group Tours
- Group tours are offered for all ages. Please schedule at least two weeks in advance by calling the library (303-795-3961).
- A classroom with 10 PCs and equipment for an instructor is available at no charge. Call the reference desk to reserve the lab up to two months in advance. A group may provide their own instructor, or request a staff instructor.
- Two meeting rooms are available at no charge to non-profit groups; the large room holds up to 100 and the conference room holds up to 20. Rooms may be scheduled with the assistant to the director up to two months in advance on a first-come, first-served basis.
Programs for all ages are offered throughout the year. Consult the library’s calendar for current schedules and listings of special programs.
- STORY BOX for children from birth to 36 months is offered each Tuesday and Wednesday at 9:30a.m. and 10:30 a.m. The child must be accompanied by an adult. Free tickets are available one week in advance.
- PRESCHOOL STORYTIMES for ages 3-5 are offered each Thursday at 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. and each Friday at 10:30 a.m.
- PAWS TO READ for children grades 1 to 5 is offered the third Saturday of each month. Practice reading with a doggie pal. Call the library to register.
- DIAL-A-STORY is available any time by dialing 303-795-3960. Listen to a three-minute story.
- Special interest groups for TEENS meet monthly.
- SUMMER READING PROGRAMS designed to promote reading for all ages are offered June through August. These programs include awards, special events, and literature-based activities.
- BOOK DISCUSSION GROUPS are available for all age groups. Call the library for details.
- Special programs for CHILDREN, ADULTS and SENIORS are scheduled monthly.
- ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE (ESL) CLASSES are offered Monday through Thursday from August through May. Call the library to register.
For further information on any of these programs, call the library at 303-795-3961.
Free Wireless Internet Access at Bemis Library
- The Bemis Public Library offers free wireless access to the Internet (Wi-Fi). Patrons with wireless-enabled laptop computers can access the Internet from within the library. With Wi-Fi service the library is providing computer access to more people, without incurring the cost of purchasing and maintaining additional computers.
Collection of Late Fees
- Bemis Public Library uses the services of a collection agency, Unique Management Services, to recover overdue materials. Patron accounts with over $40 in outstanding charges will be sent to this company for recovery. A $10 fee will be added to accounts sent through the collections process.
Other Special Services
- Notary service;
- Two study rooms for individual or small group study. One study room may be reserved up to one month in advance;
- Internet access, including wireless access;
- Computers with word processing, spreadsheet applications and other applications;
- Computers in the Children's Room with CD-ROM programs and games;
- Copy machines;
- Microfilm/fiche reader-printer;
- DVD layers;
- Cable TV;
- Immigrant Resources Center;
- Vending machines;
- On-going used book sale which benefits the Friends of the Littleton Library and Museum.
How you can help your library
- Volunteer— Volunteers are always needed to help with answering the phone, clerical work, shelving, checking and materials processing. Please call the volunteer coordinator at 303-795-3961 to find out about current opportunities.
- Library Board — This group of seven citizens advises the library director on services and policy issues and the budget. Applications for vacancies are due January 31 each year. Contact the library director for more information (303-795-3961).
- Friends of the Littleton Library and Museum — Join the Friends and help raise money to support special programs and services at Bemis Public Library and the Littleton Museum.