Skip to page body Home City Hall Residents Business Visitors Services Weho TV
c. 20,000 BC Prehistoric big-game hunters (Early Man) use the valley of the South Platte River for hunting and camping.
c. 7000 BC Prehistoric hunters at the Lamb Springs site, 2 miles SW of Littleton.
c. 4000 BC Altithermal Period: Climate changes to hot and dry, pushing prehistoric hunters off the plains.
c. 2500 BC Milder climate returns and nomadic Native American hunters and foragers reside and roam within the South Platte Valley.
1720 Spanish military expedition of Pedro De Villasur reaches the "Rio Jesus Maria", as they call the South Platte River.
1763 Early French claims to the Platte River drainage ended; Spanish claims reasserted.
c. 1770 Arapaho and Cheyenne tribes migrate into the region, coming from the Dakotas and Minnesota.
1800 Spain gives its land claims to France.
1803 President Thomas Jefferson buys land from France in the transaction known as the "Louisiana Purchase."
c. 1810 Fur trappers and traders enter the region, occasionally camping nearby.
c. 1815 Trappers' rendezvous held north of the area, near Bear Creek.
1820 Expedition commanded by Major Stephen H. Long exploring the South Platte River pass the future site of Littleton.
1858 Gold is discovered in the sands of Little Dry Creek, four miles north of the area.
1859 The "Pikes Peak" gold rush begins, centering on the confluence of Cherry Creek and the South Platter River; Denver City is founded; Capital Hydraulic Company is organized to dig the "City Ditch" to supply water to Denver and surrounding areas.
1860 Richard Sullivan Little, an engineer from Grafton, NH, arrives in Colorado Territory.
1861 Richard Little becomes chief engineer for the Capital Hydraulic Company and begins construction of an irrigation ditch drawing water from the South Platte River near present-day Littleton.
1862 Richard Little files for a homestead and makes other land claims; Dozens of other farms and ranches established all along the South Platte Valley.
1864 A school is established in Richard Little's cabin, the precursor of School District No. 6.
1867 Several neighbors join with Richard Little to build the Rough and Ready Flour Mill on his property to process the abundant grain being grown in the area; it is an immediate success selling to the Denver area market and as far away as Boston.
1869 U.S. Post Office designated at Littleton, with Richard Little as the first Postmaster.
1871 Tracks of the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad reach area around Richard Little's farm; St. Paul's Episcopal Church is consecrated.
1872 Rough and Ready Flour Mill is destroyed by fire and quickly rebuilt; Richard Little subdivides his property and files a plat for the village of Littleton.
1873 Brick school house built near Rapp Street; Denver and Rio Grande depot built.
1874 Denver, South Park and Pacific Railroad (also called the Colorado and Southern) tracks laid west of the South Platte River; Second fire destroys the flour mill and it is again quickly rebuilt, this time of stone and brick.
1876 Colorado becomes the 36th state in the Union during the nation's centennial.
1879 Construction begins on the Highline Canal to supply water to Littleton and points north and east. It is completed in 1883.
1883 First Presbyterian Church is organized.
1887 Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad extends its line to Littleton, building a depot in 1888.
1888 Littleton Independent (originally called the Littleton Gazette) founded.
1890 Town of Littleton incorporated with a population of 245; John G. Lilley Hook and Ladder Company organized as Littleton's volunteer fire department; Methodist Church organized.
1900 Population of Littleton is 738 at the turn of the century.
1901 St. Mary's Catholic Church is built.
1902 Arapahoe County is subdivided by the state legislature into South Arapahoe ("south" is soon dropped), Denver, Adams, Washington and Yuma Counties; Littleton is named temporary county seat.
1903 Electricity switched on for Littleton residents.
1904 Littleton defeats Englewood, 1,310 votes to 829, in the election to determine the permanent Arapahoe County seat.
1907 Electric trolley car line extended into Littleton; construction begins on the county courthouse (completed in 1908).
1910 Census has Littleton's population at 1,373.
1915 Old Harwood Inn, longtime Littleton landmark which had been renamed the Sunshine and Shadow Inn, is destroyed by fire.
1917 Carnegie Foundation-funded library built at the west end of Main Street; America enters the "Great War" (World War I, ending in 1918).
1920 High school built on Grant Street; Town Hall built on Main Street; population reaches 1,636.
1926 Buses replace Littleton's street car line.
1929 Boosters advertise Littleton as the "Center of the State's Poultry Industry."
1930 J.B. Benedict-designed Presbyterian Church completed; census counts 2,019 residents.
1933 First National Bank fails.
1935 Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) establishes a supply center and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) initiates numerous city improvement projects.
1938 U.S. Highway 85 is rerouted west of downtown, along present-day Santa Fe Drive.
1940 Littleton's population put at 2,244.
1941 America enters World War II (ending in 1945).
1942 Heckethorn Manufacturing Company, making projectiles for the Navy, becomes Littleton's largest employer (with 700 employed in 1944).
1950 C.A. Norgren Company moves to Littleton; Centennial Race Track opens; population reaches 3,370.
1952 Brookridge Heights and Malo Farm (Broadmoor) developments begin.
1955 Glenn L. Martin Company announces plans to build a major defense plant southwest of Littleton.
1959 Home Rule Charter/City Manager Plan accepted by voters; South Suburban Parks and Recreation District created; Rough and Ready Flour Mill destroyed by fire for the last time.
1960 Professional fire department replaces volunteers; street names and numbers changed to conform with Denver Metro area; population has swollen to 13,670.
1965 Voters approve college district formation; the great South Platte River flood triggers renewed interest in the long-debated Chatfield Dam; Bemis Public Library opens.
1970 Littleton Historical Museum opens; Population reaches 26,466.
1972 Chatfield Dam reservoir begins collecting water.
1975 After a major beautification program and adoption of a controversial sign code, Littleton named as one of "America's fifteen best suburbs" by Ladies Home Journal.
1976 AT&SF railroad depot restored for Depot Art Center.
1980 Population has grown to 28,631 residents.
1984 Centennial Race Track closes to make way for one of many new major developments.
1990 Littleton marks its centennial; Arapahoe Community College celebrates 25th anniversary; population at 33,661.
1997 Ground is broken for construction of the Southwest Corridor Light Rail Line which will link Littleton with Denver.
1999 The city's official government Web site, www.littletongov.org is launched.
2000

Former Arapahoe County Courthouse is renovated and and dedicated as the new Littleton Municipal Courthouse; RTD opens the new Southwest Corridor Light Rail Line; Littleton World War II Memorial is dedicated in Ketring Park on Veteran's Day

2001 Population of Littleton reaches 43,580.
2002 The Olympic Torch is carried through Littleton on its way to the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, Utah.
2003 A "100-year blizzard" dumps over three feet of snow in Littleton in March; construction begins on the new Littleton Historical Museum building.
2004 The new Littleton Fire Rescue station #12 is dedicated; construction begins on the new Littleton recreation center.

Bibliography

Hicks, Dave. Littleton From the Beginning. Denver: Egan Printing , 1975.

Littleton Historical Museum. Photographic Archives.

McQuarie, Robert J. and C.W. Buchholtz. Littleton, Colorado: Settlement to Centennial. Littleton: Littleton Historical Museum and Friends of the Library and Museum, 1990.

Photographs courtesy of the Littleton Museum unless otherwise noted. To order copies, contact the museum at 303-795-3950.

Compiled by Pat Massengill and Phyllis Larison

Updated January 2004

Last updated: 1/2/2013 5:16:10 PM