In an effort to minimize the spread of COVID-19 and to protect the Building Division staff and general public, the City of Littleton Building Division will enact, effective April 6, 2020, the following procedural changes to the inspection process:
- City staff will maintain social distancing of a minimum of six (6) feet at all times when interacting with the general public.
- Inspection of occupied residential dwellings will be conducted as follows:
a. Inspection of structures, projects and components that are located completely on the exterior of the structure shall be conducted in compliance with standard building inspection procedures. Examples of such structures, projects and components are roof coverings, decks, patio covers, siding, or similar
b. Inspection of detached residential structures such as garages, sheds, pergolas, etc. shall be conducted in compliance with standard building inspection procedures
c. Inspection of projects, appliances and components located on the interior of occupied residential structures MAY be conducted virtually through live video, provided that inspectors are able to virtually access all areas and verify all aspects of the project necessary to insure compliance with all applicable codes. Virtual inspection will be conducted using FaceTime or Microsoft Teams applications as follows:
- The individual or firm requesting inspection is solely responsible for possessing the ability to virtually connect with the inspector(s) through the FaceTime or Microsoft Teams applications.
- The trade-specific contractor(s) or homeowner will be present and shall conduct the virtual presentation of the items to be inspected, i.e., the plumbing contractor will conduct the virtual presentation of the plumbing systems and components; the mechanical contractor will conduct the virtual presentation of the mechanical systems and components to be inspected, etc.
- The trade-specific contractor(s) or homeowner shall connect virtually with the inspector upon arrival of the inspector at the project. Inspectors will not enter the premises.
- The inspector will provide direction to the trade-specific contractor in presenting the items to be inspected and such direction must be fully complied with in order for the inspection to be conducted
- Any project that is deemed by the inspector to be too complex in its’ scope or for which compliance cannot be verified for any other reason shall not be inspected or approved through virtual procedures
- Inspections of new, unoccupied residential dwellings will be performed only if access is provided and no one is present within the structure at the time of inspection.
- Inspections of existing but unoccupied residential dwellings will be performed only if access is provided, no personal belongings are within the structure, and no one is present within the structure at the time of inspection.
- Inspection of occupied commercial structures will not be performed unless the structure is vacated a minimum of fifteen (15) minutes prior to the start of the inspection and for the duration of the inspection.
- Inspections of new commercial structures will be performed provided that the structure is vacated a minimum of fifteen (15) minutes prior to the inspection and no one is present within the structure for the duration of the inspection.
- Emergency inspections, i.e. requests for assistance from emergency service agencies, utility providers, etc., will continue to be provided for all residential and commercial structures.
Any incidence of non-compliance with the above procedural changes will result in non-performance or immediate termination of the requested inspection. Inspectors will exercise their discretion when performing inspections to insure the existence of conditions that provide for their safety and that of the general public and may refuse to perform or terminate any inspection for which unsafe conditions exist. Performance of any virtual inspection is contingent upon the ability of the inspector to insure compliance with applicable codes and ordinances and may be refused or terminated at the inspectors’ discretion. The Building Division will endeavor to maintain its’ performance of next day inspections for those requests that comply with the above policy changes.