2255 W. Berry Ave.
Permit Center Hours
*Open Wednesdays at 8:45am after staff meeting; closed 12pm-1:30pm on first Friday of each month for department meeting. New hours effective beginning March 11.
***The Building Division remains closed to the public through April 30, 2020. In coordination with third party inspectors, the Building Division will endeavor to continue operations remotely. Remote operations may result in delays in the provision of service, including the performance of field inspections.***
Should you have questions related to electronic permit application submission, please contact Hope Jones at 303-795-3751. For questions related to grouping and scheduling of inspections, please contact Steve Jones at 303-795-3739. Every effort is being made to maintain previous service levels and your cooperation is valuable in assisting us in providing services. Thank you.
Temporary Building Inspection Policy Changes (4/3/20)
In an effort to minimize the spread of COVID-19 and to protect the Building Division staff and general public, the City of Littleton Building Division will enact, effective April 6, 2020, the following procedural changes to the inspection process:
- City staff will maintain social distancing of a minimum of six (6) feet at all times when interacting with the general public.
- Inspection of occupied residential dwellings will be conducted as follows:
a. Inspection of structures, projects and components that are located completely on the exterior of the structure shall be conducted in compliance with standard building inspection procedures. Examples of such structures, projects and components are roof coverings, decks, patio covers, siding, or similar
b. Inspection of detached residential structures such as garages, sheds, pergolas, etc. shall be conducted in compliance with standard building inspection procedures
c. Inspection of projects, appliances and components located on the interior of occupied residential structures MAY be conducted virtually through live video, provided that inspectors are able to virtually access all areas and verify all aspects of the project necessary to insure compliance with all applicable codes. Virtual inspection will be conducted using FaceTime or Microsoft Teams applications as follows:
- The individual or firm requesting inspection is solely responsible for possessing the ability to virtually connect with the inspector(s) through the FaceTime or Microsoft Teams applications.
- The trade-specific contractor(s) or homeowner will be present and shall conduct the virtual presentation of the items to be inspected, i.e., the plumbing contractor will conduct the virtual presentation of the plumbing systems and components; the mechanical contractor will conduct the virtual presentation of the mechanical systems and components to be inspected, etc.
- The trade-specific contractor(s) or homeowner shall connect virtually with the inspector upon arrival of the inspector at the project. Inspectors will not enter the premises.
- The inspector will provide direction to the trade-specific contractor in presenting the items to be inspected and such direction must be fully complied with in order for the inspection to be conducted
- Any project that is deemed by the inspector to be too complex in its’ scope or for which compliance cannot be verified for any other reason shall not be inspected or approved through virtual procedures
- Inspections of new, unoccupied residential dwellings will be performed only if access is provided and no one is present within the structure at the time of inspection.
- Inspections of existing but unoccupied residential dwellings will be performed only if access is provided, no personal belongings are within the structure, and no one is present within the structure at the time of inspection.
- Inspection of occupied commercial structures will not be performed unless the structure is vacated a minimum of fifteen (15) minutes prior to the start of the inspection and for the duration of the inspection.
- Inspections of new commercial structures will be performed provided that the structure is vacated a minimum of fifteen (15) minutes prior to the inspection and no one is present within the structure for the duration of the inspection.
- Emergency inspections, i.e. requests for assistance from emergency service agencies, utility providers, etc., will continue to be provided for all residential and commercial structures.
Any incidence of non-compliance with the above procedural changes will result in non-performance or immediate termination of the requested inspection. Inspectors will exercise their discretion when performing inspections to insure the existence of conditions that provide for their safety and that of the general public and may refuse to perform or terminate any inspection for which unsafe conditions exist. Performance of any virtual inspection is contingent upon the ability of the inspector to insure compliance with applicable codes and ordinances and may be refused or terminated at the inspectors’ discretion. The Building Division will endeavor to maintain its’ performance of next day inspections for those requests that comply with the above policy changes.
If your plan is for a new home or an addition to your home, such as a second story, a garage, deck, patio cover or similar project, your first step is to call Building and Inspections at 303-795-3751. Find out about setbacks, maximum allowable height of a structure and maximum lot coverage before you start on construction drawings. In the beginning, the only document you need to bring to the Permit Center is a site plan of your lot. Indicate to scale on the site plan where you plan to build.
If you live in a covenant-controlled community, you may need a letter of approval from your architectural control committee. We try to comply with all homeowner associations and the permitting process may be delayed without their prior approval.
Make an appointment with Building staff even before you start on construction drawings. This visit will help you understand building code requirements and the process of submitting construction documents for a building permit. If you decide to use an architect, the architect should also attend this meeting.
Permit applications are available from the Permit Center at the City of Littleton or in PDF download. After completing the application, you should submit all submittal requirements to the Littleton Permit Center in the lobby of the Littleton Center, 2255 W. Berry Ave. Fees are payable upon issuance of the building permit and are based on the valuation of the project as assessed by the building official. Call 303-795-3751 for more information.
Note, if you have a new business, a Business & Sales/Use Tax License is required prior to building permit issuance. For questions about the application, contact the Revenue and Sales Tax Technician at 303-795-3768.
Construction and Inspections
To schedule an inspection, call the inspection request line at 303-795-3738. Inspections called in before 3 pm are generally scheduled for the next business day and are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. In order to schedule the inspection, you will need the permit number and inspection code (see your permit card). A confirmation number and date of the inspection will be stated. Please listen closely for the confirmed inspection date. Please note, inspections are generally scheduled for the next business day, however during peak times of activity, inspection schedules may be booked a few business days out.
The required inspections for your project are sequentially marked on the inspection card that will be given to you when your permit is issued. Inspections are requested when different phases of construction are completed. For example, if you are requesting a rough plumbing inspection, all the piping for the waste and vents, water pipe and gas piping must be installed and tested. The rough plumbing, rough electric and rough heating must be inspected and approved before a rough framing inspection is requested.
Where do I get help?
Call the Littleton Permit Center at 303-795-3751. After your question or problem is identified, you will be directed to the appropriate staff person.
Please use the correct fax numbers:
Permit Center only — 303-795-3707
eFax only — 1-720-384-0601 (must dial "1" before number)