To protect the health of citizens and staff, some departments are conducting business remotely or by appointment only. Police records can be obtained by appointment only. Call 303-794-1551 to report a crime, for court-ordered fingerprints, or for police assistance in other matters. Check the city's COVID Information page for the latest operating hours and procedures before visiting the city.
Bemis Library currently has a supply of KN95 masks. Limit five per person. There are also surgical masks available.


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

In October 2021, the Littleton City Council approved an ordinance adopting the Unified Land Use Code (ULUC).

Before looking for zoning information, first ask - Am I within the city boundaries?

Just because the postal mailing address is "Littleton" doesn't mean that the address is actually within Littleton's jurisdiction. See the Littleton city limits map to search for an address. To find your Littleton zone district, search the Littleton Zoning Map & Look-Up Tool. View the Current Zoning Map (pdf) or Repealed Zoning Map (pdf).

What is zoning?

Zoning is a series of ordinances adopted by the city council which set standards for the location, size of buildings, and for use of buildings and land throughout the city. It is the primary tool to implement the city’s comprehensive plan, the “COMPLAN,” and to provide for compatibility of neighboring land uses. The zoning ordinance consists of various districts. Each district has development standards such as permitted uses, building height, parking, setback, and minimum open space.

What does “setback” mean?

“Setback” refers to the minimum distance a structure must be located away from all property lines. Be careful not to make the common mistake of assuming a property line is along a street, gutter or sidewalk.

Are there guidelines for fences?

Yes. In a residential district a fence can be a maximum of 6 feet high anywhere behind the front setback or next to a public right-of-way, a fence can be a maximum of four feet high and must be 50 percent open (for example, split rail, picket or chain link). Don’t forget, a permit is required from the building department before any fence can be erected.

What is a nonconforming use or structure?

A building, or a use of land, is nonconforming if it was lawfully operated within any zone district prior to the effective date of an ordinance or amendment that prohibits the building or use. A nonconforming use or building may continue to exist or operate on the property even after the original owner transfers the property. However, enlarging or terminating a nonconforming use will change this status.

What is a conditional use?

The City's Zoning Ordinance identifies certain uses within the city as conditional uses. These are uses permitted within certain zone districts, which may exist only upon the imposition of conditions to mitigate negative impacts on adjacent properties. Conditional uses include utility installations, childcare centers and private schools, radio transmission towers/wind generators, indoor amusements, commercial outdoor recreational uses, solid waste incinerators/transfer stations, off-site parking for commercial uses, commercial teen clubs, community correctional facilities, circuses and carnivals, and sale and leasing of used motor vehicles, animal boarding and care facilities. The Planning Commission reviews and approves or denies conditional uses at a public hearing.

More information

Remember, all of the land in the City of Littleton is subject to zoning codes. If you need additional information about zoning in Littleton, please call 303-795-3748 and ask for the planner on call or email your question to Zoning verification letters must be requested through eTRAKit (see FAQs.)

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer