Register for a library card at the checkout desk or online. You will be asked to present photo identification and also a separate document providing proof of address, i.e. a piece of mail or a utility bill. Children and teens ages 17 and under must have their parent’s signature in order to receive a card.
Colorado Library Card
Bemis Public Library is a member of the Colorado Library Card (CLC) program allowing you to acquire a Bemis Library card no matter where in Colorado you live.
Overdue fines for all Bemis Library materials accrue at the rate of $.20/day from the first day they are overdue. There is a five-day grace period, so any fines accrued within five days after the due date are waived. No single item will accrue more than $3.00 in overdue fines.
Sign up for text notification
Receive text message notifications for books that are available for pickup and those that are due soon. Request information about current checkouts and fines, and even renew the books and movies currently checked out.
How do I sign up?
- Text SIGNUP to: 970-620-9150
To receive messages in Spanish, use REGISTRESE instead of SIGNUP.
Para recibir mensajes en español, escriba REGISTRESE en lugar de SIGNUP.
- When prompted, enter library card # (full number with no spaces, e.g. 2181300xxxxxxx)
- Enter email address (optional)
What kinds of notices will I get?
- HOLDS: This is a notice that you have holds ready to be picked up.
- OVERDUE: This is a notice that things are already overdue.
- RENEW: This is a notice that things will soon be due, and you can renew them.
- FEES: This is a notice that there are fines or fees owed.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS: These notices will feature library closures, etc.
Text messaging commands
(send all keywords to 970-620-9150):
- TEST: Test your connection to the service.
- HELP: Get help with a command. E.g., type HELP FEES to get help with that command.
- MYBOOKS: Inquire about the status of all of your library items.
- IOWEU: Get a list of fines and fees for all registered barcodes.
- RHL: Get a list of holds expiring soon.
- HL: Get a list of holds that are ready to pick up.
- OA: The service will attempt to renew all overdue items and will reply with a list of items that were successfully and unsuccessfully renewed.
- OL: Generates a numbered list of all overdue items eligible for renewal.
- RA: The service will attempt to renew all items and will reply with a list of items that were successfully and unsuccessfully renewed.
- RI: Get a list of items that are coming due and that cannot be renewed.
- RL: Generates a numbered list of renewable items.
- MYCARDS: Generates a numbered list of the barcodes currently registered to your phone.
- ADDCARD: This will add a barcode registered to your phone for notices.
- DROPCARD: To remove a card from your phone for notices.
- ADDEMAIL: Change email on your account.
- SWITCHPHONE: Update your phone number or mobile service provider (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, etc).
- RESEND: Receive last message again.
- STOP: Immediately remove your number from the text service, no questions asked.
- QUIT: Longer way to quit the service. You will be prompted to enter the barcode and will receive a message confirming your request.
When will I receive texts?
- Texts will be sent only when activity on your account triggers a message and will be sent between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m.
Will I be charged for this service?
- The library doesn’t charge a fee for this service, but cell phone plan’s regular text messaging rates still apply. Check with your cell phone service provider to see the cost of text messages in your service plan. You can expect a larger volume of text messages with this service.