Bemis Public Library Rules
The Bemis Public Library supports the rights of all individuals to free and equal access to information and use of the library without discrimination, intimidation, threat of harm or invasion of privacy. The goal of the Bemis Public Library is to provide an enjoyable and comfortable environment for all library users. Each person is expected to respect the rights of others and comply with the following Patron Code of Conduct while on library property.
Permitted Conduct at the Library includes:
- Quiet and courteous use of cellphones.
- Service animals and service animals in training.
- Personal belongings of no more than two medium size backpacks or the equivalent.
- Eating is allowed only in the lounge area of Sophie’s Place in the library. Beverages with lids are allowed throughout the library except at the public computers and gaming stations. This policy may be waived by the library staff during special events or programs.
- During posted Teen Deck hours, use of this area is for patrons in grades 6 to 12. Usage by other patrons is allowed when actively using the collections or seeking assistance. Staff may restrict adult use of children’s areas and teen area.
- Use of children’s areas is for children through 5th grade and their caregivers. Usage by other patrons is allowed when actively using the collections or seeking assistance or if accompanied by a child. Staff may restrict adult use of children’s area and teen area.
Prohibited Conduct at the Library includes, but is not limited to:
- Engaging in conduct which is disruptive to the operation of the library or threatening to patrons, staff, or library property, including but not limited to:
- Fighting or challenging to fight; using offensive language likely to provoke violence.
- Making any loud, unreasonable, and/or disturbing noises, using obscene and profane language.
- Lewd behavior or committing abusive acts towards patrons or staff.
- Preventing patrons from entering or leaving the building freely.
- Sexual, physical, verbal or other harassment.
- Intentionally damaging, destroying, or stealing the property of the library, library patrons, or employees.
- Inappropriate attire including not wearing shoes or a shirt.
- Having bodily hygiene that detracts from the enjoyment of the library by others.
- Refusal to leave at closing and/or refusal to leave an unauthorized area.
- Engaging in inappropriate public displays of affection.
- Engaging in any other illegal acts or conduct in violation of federal, state, and/or local law, ordinance, or regulation.
- Leaving baggage or possessions unattended inside the library or within 15 feet of any entrance.
- Bathing, shaving, washing, rinsing or drying hair, or washing, rinsing or drying clothing.
- Wearing shoes/boots with wheels, riding a skateboard, scooters, running, or bringing a bicycle inside the building.
- Possessing, consuming, or being under the influence of alcohol, marijuana, or any illegal substance.
- Smoking, vaping, or use of electronic cigarettes within the library building. Smoking outside is not permitted within 15 feet of any entrance.
- Leaving a child under eight years of age unattended by an adult or designated caregiver who is at least twelve years old or older.
- Carrying weapons of any type.
- Soliciting, petitioning, campaigning, or survey-taking within the library building.
- Bringing in animals (excluding service animals and service animals in training). Exceptions may be made for certain library programs.
- Distributing or posting printed materials or literature within the library building that has not been approved by the Library Administration.
Failure to comply with the library’s established rules may result in exclusion from library property and/or, if a criminal act is involved, being subject to arrest and prosecution. Persons who fail to leave the library building or grounds when directed to do so may be subject to arrest and prosecution for trespass.