City Attorney FAQs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

I need an attorney. Can the city attorney help me?
The city attorney cannot give legal advice to citizens or recommend lawyers. For referrals, contact:

Colorado Bar Association at 303-860-0608
Metropolitan Lawyer Referral Service at 303-831-8000
Legal Aid Foundation of Colorado at 303-863-9544
DU Law School at 303-863-9544
CU Law School at 303-492-8047

What if I have questions regarding the law?
If you have legal questions, you should contact a private attorney. The city attorney, municipal prosecutor and municipal court staff are unable to provide legal advice to citizens.

I need to serve a subpoena on the city. What is the process?
For police records, serve the police department. For all other city records or for city employees, serve the city clerk.

How do I file a notice of claim against the city?
If you believe that the City of Littleton (or any of its employees during the course of such employment) has caused you injury or damaged your property, and you wish to be considered for reimbursement, the law requires that you file a written notice of claim, within 182 days, with the Littleton City Attorney. These claims are processed through the Human Resources Risk Analyst.

Citizen Claim Form

Email the claim form to or mail to:

Human Resources Risk Analyst
2255 W. Berry Avenue
Littleton, Colorado 80120

A notice of claim must contain the following information:

  1. The name and address of the person making the claim and the name and address of that person’s attorney, if any;
  2. A concise statement of the factual basis of the claim, including the date, time, place, and circumstances of the act, omission, or event that is the basis of the claim;
  3. The name and address of any public employee involved, if known;
  4. A concise statement of the nature and extent of damages claimed to have been suffered; and
  5. A statement of the amount of monetary damages being requested.

I received a call from someone purporting to be with the Internal Revenue Service, or I am receiving calls from telemarketers. Whom should I contact?
The Colorado Attorney General's office has a consumer complaint department that can help with: collection agency, telemarketing fraud and/or unwanted telephone calls or texts; mortgage & loan modification, consumer/payday lenders & creditors; securities and investment fraud; debt management/settlement & credit repair; environmental crime; and repossession. They can be reached at 1-800-222-4444 or 720-508-6000.

I would like to speak to the municipal prosecutor about my case. How do I do that?
If you currently do not have an attorney and wish to speak to the prosecutor about your case, please contact the city prosecutor’s office at 303-795-3845. If you are under 18 years of age and wish to speak to the city prosecutor, please have a parent or legal guardian available at the time of your call. Please understand if you are currently represented by an attorney, the municipal prosecutor cannot speak with you about your case.

I received a ticket for not having proof of insurance. What is the process for turning in my insurance information?
Proof of insurance should be provided to the city prosecutor's office at least one week prior to your scheduled court date. You will need to provide a letter from your insurance company which states specifically that you were insured on the date and time of the citation while driving the vehicle you were operating when you were ticketed. This letter MUST be on insurance letterhead and signed by an agent or representative of the company. Please include your summons number with the insurance agency’s letter. This letter may be emailed to; or mailed to Littleton Municipal Prosecutor’s office at 2069 W. Littleton Blvd., Littleton, CO 80120. If you need further information, contact the municipal prosecutor’s office at 303-795-3845.

Why did I receive a subpoena from the City of Littleton?
If you received a subpoena, it is because you have been listed as a witness for a municipal prosecution. Please sign the waiver of personal service at bottom of the subpoena and email it to; or mail to Littleton Municipal Prosecutor’s office, 2069 W. Littleton Blvd., Littleton, CO 80120. If you have questions, contact the municipal prosecutor’s office at 303-795-3845.

I need to request a copy of my file. What is the process?
You have a right to receive relevant police reports and other materials about the charges that have been brought against you that are in the possession of the Littleton Police Department. This information is called “discovery.” Discovery can be requested by emailing If you are a defense attorney requesting discovery, please provide an entry of appearance with your request. There is no charge for paper discovery delivered electronically; $5.00 for each DVD/CD; and $0.25 per page for printed discovery. Please allow ample time prior to your court date for a discovery request to be processed.

I am a victim on a case and would like to drop or modify a municipal protection order. What is the process?
Only the municipal court judge can modify or drop a municipal protection order. You may submit your request to drop or modify a protection order to the municipal prosecutor’s office via email to; or mail to Littleton Municipal Prosecutor’s office at 2069 W. Littleton Blvd., Littleton, CO 80120. The municipal prosecutor will review your request and may subpoena you to appear at the hearing regarding your request. Please ensure that your motion contains any updated contact information.

I cannot afford a private attorney. How do I qualify for a public defender?
In order to qualify for a court-appointed attorney, the municipal prosecutor must be seeking jail time, and you must fall within the fiscal standards established by the Colorado Supreme Court for the appointment of court-appointed defense counsel or be partially indigent. You can request a public defender by filing an application with the court, and the court may hold a hearing on the issue of eligibility. Contact the municipal court at 303-795-3837 for an application or for any questions.

I have been placed on probation in my case. Who should I contact?
Please contact the probation office at 303-795-3874.

Whom do I contact if I need to change my court date?
Contact the municipal court at 303-795-3837.

What do I do if I have an active warrant?
If you have an active warrant that you are trying to address, call the court clerk at 303-795-3837.

How do I submit proof of completion of a class or community service that was ordered as part of my sentence?
You may submit proof of completion to the court by fax at 303-795-3841, by mail to Littleton Municipal Court, 2069 W Littleton Blvd., Littleton, CO 80120, or by email to


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer