Call for Proposals
Town Hall Arts Center Mural/City of Littleton Mural Program
Deadline: Friday, November 11, 2022 at 12 a.m. (midnight)
Eligibility: Colorado-based artists with mural experience
Budget: Not to Exceed $15,000 (inclusive)
The City of Littleton and the Littleton Arts and Culture Commission invite artists/teams living in Colorado to submit designs for an outdoor mural located in the alley behind Town Hall Arts Center (THAC) at 2450 W. Main St., Littleton, Colorado, 80120. This artwork will be accessible to pedestrians and drivers via the alley, as well as visible from W. Alamo Ave. The art budget is Not to Exceed $15,000 (inclusive). The deadline for submission is Friday, November 11, 2022 at 12 a.m. (midnight). Project installation will occur in spring 2023.
The inaugural public mural with the City of Littleton’s new mural program will be painted on the two-story cinderblock addition on the back south-facing side of the Town Hall Arts Center building – a historic building situated along West Main Street in downtown Littleton. The mural will celebrate the unique current use of the building, which is focused on performing arts (theatrical and musical performances). The mural will also serve as a focal point for the future activation of Littleton’s alleyways.
The mural will also be the tallest mural in Littleton, among the 21 murals located in the historic downtown area.
The wall is located in the alley behind Town Hall Arts Center and is constructed of cinderblock. The approximate measurements are:
Width: 50’ 6”
A brief history of Town Hall Arts Center and the historic Town Hall building, along with a selection of historical photos, articles and other materials related to the theme of performing arts can be found here:
• Mural design should celebrate the performing arts
• Mural must cover 99% of the wall surface space (wall dimensions 50’ 6” width x 35” height)
• Mural design may not contain advertising, logos, or copyrighted images
• Political, commercial, religious, or sexual themes will not be considered
• Any text in the design should be incidental to the design and not the focal point
• Mural design should be sensitive to the diverse history, culture, and demography of our community
• Mural design should be family-friendly, suitable for public display, and free of safety hazards
• Mural design should be resistant to weather, graffiti and vandalism and require minimal maintenance
• Mural design must have an expected minimum life span of 5 years; the mural will be considered semi-temporary for a period of up to twenty (20) years
The artist is required to use high-quality acrylic exterior paint that will withstand the outdoor elements for an extended period of time. Use of sealants and/or anti-graffiti applications is requested. Substitutions must be approved by staff.
The City of Littleton will assist the selected artist with sealing and/or priming, as well as hiring of lifts and/or scaffolding.
Up to five finalists will be selected for their successful designs. These five finalists will receive $300 for their submittal. The artist with the final selected design shall receive an artist stipend of $15,000 (subject to negotiation depending on overall size/complexity of mural) shall constitute full compensation for all services, goods, expenses and materials to be performed and furnished in the design, creation and installation of the mural. The stipend will be paid with a deposit upon signing of contract with additional payment(s) during the creation of the mural and/or upon completion of the mural.
Applicants must fill out and return the following two (2) forms:
• Mural Design Information Form
• Waiver of Proprietary Rights for Artwork Placed on City Property Under VARA
Installation and Exhibition Period
The mural must be installed between March 1, 2023 – May 31, 2023 over a mutually agreed upon period of days. The artwork is intended to be a semi-temporary installation; however, matters such as changes in building occupancy or extensive wear and tear/damage to the building and/or mural could result in removal.
Any Colorado-based artist over the age of 18 is eligible to apply. Artists with a strong professional profile, experience in producing permanent exterior public murals and/or who have successfully worked on collaborative projects are encouraged to apply. Artists must adhere to the project timeline.
Requests for Proposals
City of Littleton staff and Arts and Culture Commission are now accepting design proposals for the mural. For more information, contact Jenny Hankinson at 303-795-3954 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.