The blacksmith shop, through technically not part of the farms, was an important element of a farm community. The reconstruction is set in 1903, the year in which electricity reached Littleton. This allows the museum to take advantage of and use in demonstrations many of the tools and equipment in the museum's collection.
The museum has several volunteer blacksmiths who work in the shop. Because they are volunteers, their hours vary during the week.