Littleton Independent Newspaper photo
Littleton Police Reserve Officers gather for a group portrait on the front steps of the Littleton Post Office. Part-time policemen and public-spirited volunteers have helped Littleton's peace officers since the Town's first paid marshal was appointed in 1890. Over the years, countless citizen policemen have donned a Littleton badge bearing various titles: "Special Police," "Deputy Marshal," "Special Marshal," "Auxiliary Police," "Civil Defense Police," and "Reserve Officer." Regardless of their official title or the extent of their duties, each of these individuals contributed their personal time, hard work, and loyal dedication to serve the Littleton community and support the full-time police officials. In 1989, the Police Department discontinued the Reserve Officer program because of liability concerns at that time.