Defendant Rights

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Your rights as a defendant

You have...

  • the right to be represented by an attorney
  • the right to a reasonable continuance of your case for good cause
  • the right to be advised of the charges against you and the maximum penalty which may
  • be imposed in the event of a plea or finding of guilty
  • the right to be given a full explanation of the charges against you
  • the right to plead guilty or not guilty to the offense(s) with which you are charged and the right to be informed as to the legal effect of each
  • the right to trial by the court or by a jury. In order to obtain a jury trial, a written jury demand and a deposit of $25 must be paid to the court within 21 days of the entry of the not guilty plea
  • the right to be presumed innocent until every element has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt
  • the right to present witnesses on your own behalf and to have witnesses subpoenaed by the court
  • the right to cross examine prosecution witnesses
  • the right to testify or not to testify in your own behalf
  • the right to make an oral explanation in mitigation on a plea or finding of guilty
  • the right, if found guilty at trial, to appeal said finding to the Arapahoe County District Court of the 18th Judicial District
  • the right to a determination of whether or not you are entitled to a plea to a lesser charge.

Notificacion de sus Derechos

  • Tiene el derecho de que un abogado lo represente
  • Tiene el derecho a un aplazamiento razonable en su causa por un buen motivo
  • Tiene el derecho a se le notifiquen los cargos en su contra y cual seria la penalidad maxima que se podria imponer en caso de que usted se declare culpable o en caso de que se determine su culpabilidad
  • Tiene el derecho de que se le de una explicacion detallada referente a los cargos en su contra
  • Tiene el derecho de declararse culpable o no culpable a los cargos en su contra y a que se le notifiquen los efectos legales a los mismos
  • Tiene el derecho de tener un juicio ante juez o ante jurado. Para obtener un juicio ante jurado debe de presentar una demanda por escrito y un deposito de $25 que debe de pagar dentro de los 21 dias de cuando se declare no culpab le
  • Tiene el derecho a que se presuma que es inocente hasta que cada elemento se compruebe mas alla de una duda razonable
  • Tiene el derecho de presentar testigos en su defensa y que estos testigos sean citados por la corte
  • Tiene el derecho de contrainterrogar a los testigos de cargo
  • Tiene el derecho de atestiguar o no atestiguar en su defensa
  • Tiene el derecho a dar una explicacion oral antes de que se imponga la sentencia
    Si se determina que es culpable en el juicio, tiene el derecho de apelar tal fallo en la corte del distrito del condado de Arapahoe del Distrito Judicial 18th.
  • Tiene el derecho para que se determine si usted puede declararse culpable a un cargo menor