Event Qualifications & Checklist

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Page Contents

  1. Application Time Frame
  2. Do I need an Event Permit for my event?
  3. Application Fees
  4. Permit Qualifications
  5. Equipment & Logistics
  6. Fire Department Notification (South Metro Fire Rescue)
  7. Event Security
  8. Document Checklist
  9. Multiple Events, One Permit?
  10. If you have everything you need, start your application...

For complete definitions and requirements for Special Events and Demonstrations in the City of Littleton, see Section 3-3 of the City Code.

1. Application Time Frame

As described in the City Code Section 3-3-4(A), applications must be submitted with adequate time for city staff to process.

  • For events involving the sale and/or consumption of alcohol, both the Event Permit AND the Special Event Liquor Permit must be submitted at least 45 days prior to the event date (or the first day of the event for multi-day events);
  • If alcohol will be sold and/or consumed at the event AND the event venue/premises already has an existing liquor license, you will need your existing Littleton Liquor License number.
  • All other events must be submitted at least 30 days prior the event date (or the first day of the event for multi-day events).

Applications may not be submitted more than one (1) year in advance of the event date. Events that fall outside these time frames cannot be submitted.

2. Do I need an Event Permit for my event?

Generally, a City of Littleton Event Permit is required if the event is:

  • Open to the public and more than 100 attendees are expected; AND...
  • Event is held in a city park, public street, or public facility; OR
  • Event venue is outside the "normal use" of the venue (such as a carnival at a church); OR
  • Event includes the sale and/or consumption of alcohol; OR
  • Event includes outdoor amplified sound; OR
  • Event includes a street-closure request; OR
  • City staff time (police and/or public works personnel) is needed; OR
  • Event includes pyrotechnics or fireworks of any kind.

An event permit is NOT required if the event is held at a venue where the "normal use" of the venue is hosting events, such as Hudson Gardens & Event Center or the Falls Event Center.

Neighborhood block parties
Private, invitation-only, festive gatherings on a residential street do not require a formal event permit. However, you must contact the Public Works Traffic Division at pwtw@littletongov.org if you plan to request the closure of your street to vehicular traffic. An Amplified Sound Permit is required if the party will have outdoor amplified sound.

If you have questions about whether you need to submit an event permit, contact the city's event permit coordinator at comkn@littletongov.org.

3. Application Fees

Permit fees are based on the sponsoring organization's nonprofit status and the amplified sound status. If for any reason your event is canceled, the fees paid with this permit are non-refundable.

As described in the City Code Section 3-3-4(C), permit application fees included on the Event Permit application are charged as follows:

  • $50 — applicant organization qualifies for exemption from paying city sales tax. Application must include an IRS Form 990.
  • $75 — applicant organization does not qualify for exemption from paying city sales tax. This includes all commercial and private organizations and some nonprofit organizations.
  • $75 Amplified Sound permit fee  application includes a request for outdoor amplified sound.
  • Other fees may be incurred depending on event details such as event security, inspection requirements, fire department inspections, alcohol at the event, etc. These fees will be invoiced separately.

Fees are due and payable at the time of application. The city accepts two forms of payment for event permit fees:

  1. Debit or credit card — through PayPal, although you do not need a PayPal account to use your card
  2. Check (by mail or in person)

Your permit application will not be processed until payment is received by the City of Littleton. If the PayPal transaction was interrupted or abandoned before it was completed, then the payment was not received and the Event Manager will not receive an emailed receipt for payment from PayPal. In this case, a check must be presented to the city for the full amount. The debit/credit card option is only available at the time of application. Debit/credit card payments cannot be processed after the event permit has been submitted. The city cannot process credit card payments in person.

4. Permit Qualifications

Before starting the Event Permit Application, answer the following questions to and then review the Equipment & Logistics section and the Document Checklist to be sure you have ALL documents on hand before you start the application.

  1. Is your event in the Littleton city limits?
    Check the Littleton City Limits map and/or the Littleton Address Wizard to make sure your event is within Littleton's city boundaries. If yes, continue with this application. If it is not in the city limits, do not complete this application. Contact the jurisdiction (city, county or other agency) and follow their event permit application process.
  2. Is your event being held in a Littleton park or on a Littleton trail? Does your race or parade PASS THROUGH a Littleton park or a Littleton trail?
    If yes, you must complete South Suburban Parks & Recreation's Special Event Request Form before completing the Littleton Event Permit Application. A copy of South Suburban’s approved permit must be submitted with the Littleton Event Permit Application.
  3. Are you requesting the closure of any public street or alley for your event?
    If yes, a map is required showing the requested street closure(s) with a traffic control plan showing placement of barricades, signage, and traffic detours if needed. Event organizers are responsible for renting and installing their own traffic control barricades and signs from a reputable company. Below are three companies in the Denver Metro area:
    • Colorado Barricade – 303-922-7815
    • National Barricade – 303-744-2338
    • Warning Lites – 303-936-2990
  4. Will your event include sale and/or consumption of alcohol?
    If yes, read the Special Event Liquor Permit process. The Special Event Liquor Permit application is a separate form and must be submitted to the city clerk's office to start the liquor-permitting process. There is a $100 fee to submit the Special Event Liquor Permit.
  5. Will your event include outdoor amplified sound?
    Amplified sound occurs whenever microphones and speakers are used to to amplify voices, music, etc. If yes, review the Amplified Sound Permit Information Document. A $75 fee will be added to the Event Permit Application to process the Amplified Sound Permit.

5. Equipment & Logistics

If your event will have any of the following, include the details in the Event Permit and on your Event Layout Plan.

  • Canopies — Small, lightweight shelters used for shade, usually 10x10 or 10x20.
  • Tents — Temporary structures; may have one or more sides.
  • Port-a-lets — The number of port-a-lets required is based on many variables including length of event, number of attendees expected, size of the venue, whether food and/or alcohol is being served, whether there are permanent restroom facilities at the venue, etc. The  city's building department will work with event organizers to determine the number of regular and handicap port-a-lets, and hand-washing stations needed for events.
  • Electrical — if any elements at your event require electricity or temporary power, indicate the location and electrical source, including the use of generators.
  • Trash management — Applicant must provide adequate number of trash receptacles for the size and scope of the event, and is responsible for the removal of all trash receptacles and litter from the grounds of the event area after the event.
  • Stage(s) — Indicate stage size, location, electrical requirements, source of electricity, and name of stage rental company (if applicable).
  • Food vendors (does not include food trucks) — Will there be food prepared or cooked at your event? Applicants must meet all Tri-County Health Department requirements for a Temporary Food Event.
  • Non-food vendors — All merchandise and service vendors are responsible for collecting sales tax and submitting a Special Event Sales Tax Return to the City of Littleton after the event.
  • Offsite parking plan — If event location does not have enough parking for attendees at the event, what other arrangements have been made for parking?
  • Accessibility — Applicant should consider accessibility requirements at the event for persons with disabilities including parking, event access, restroom facilities, etc.
  • Inclement weather plans — If the event is outside, what are the plans if the weather turns? What is the threshold for cancellation due to weather? What are the identified evacuation routes if the weather turns quickly? How might people be sheltered if needed?
  • Play structures, rides, animals, etc. — Include details about bounce houses, portable water slides, carnival rides, live animals, etc.

6. Fire Department Notification

South Metro Fire Rescue patchMedical Services
South Metro Fire Rescue (SMFR) does not provide medical services for non-city events. If you need onsite medical services for the event, you must contract with a private medical services provider.

Notification, Inspections & Permitting
The SMFR Fire Marshal's Office receives a notification of all event permits submitted to the City of Littleton. Some events may require a response from South Metro Fire Rescue to ensure the safety of both participants and first responders. SMFR’s involvement may be as simple as notifying them of the event, or may be more complex to include issuance of permits, conducting pre-event inspections, and/or providing fire watch during events that include pyrotechnics.

7. Event Security

Some events may require off-duty police officers and/or a private security firm depending on a number of factors such as type of event, number of expected attendees, whether alcoholic beverages will be served, physical location, time of event, etc. In these cases, the event manager will be contacted by the Littleton Police Department (LPD) Event Security Officer with requirements for the minimum number of officers and/or supervisors needed for the event.

There is a fee for LPD officers with a three-hour minimum, and a separate fee for patrol vehicles for traffic control and enforcement. LPD will invoice the event organizer separately for any required security services from the department. Contact the Event Security Officer at 303-795-3846 or lpdss@littletongov.org for more information and current rates.

8. Document Checklist

Before starting the Event Permit Application, be sure you have all the required documents in electronic format. Permit applications cannot be processed until all required documents have been received.

If alcohol will be sold and/or consumed at the event AND the event venue/premises already has an existing liquor license, you will need your existing Littleton Liquor License number.

All documents must be clear and legible. Digital photos from a mobile device are not acceptable. Accepted file formats: PDF, DOC, JPG, PNG (IRS Form 990 must be a PDF). PDFs and DOCs may be more than one page if necessary.


IMPORTANT - check your document filenames!!

Remove all SPACES from filenames before uploading...

...or your files may be unreadable and you may be required to submit them again.
If this happens, your permit may be delayed while staff waits for new documents.

Example: block-party-street-closure-map.pdf (no spaces in filename)

Event Layout Plan — required for all events. Include as needed: canopies and tent locations, cooking facilities, port-a-let locations, entries and exits, alcohol, medical services, parking, trash, vendors, etc.

  • South Suburban Parks & Recreation Park Permit — required if your event will take place in a Littleton park or trail. Complete SSPR's Special Event Request Form.
  • Current IRS Form 990 — If event’s sponsoring organization is a nonprofit, a current IRS Form 990 is required. Search and download the form at the IRS’s Tax Exempt Organization Search page.
  • Map of street closure(s) and traffic control plan — required if your event includes a request to close any public street(s) or alley(s). Include placement of barricades, signage, and traffic detours if needed.  Applicant may be required to petition and/or notify all residents and businesses on the street(s) that are affected. Event organizers are responsible for renting their own appropriate traffic control barricades and signage from a reputable company.
  • Route map — a detailed map of the route is required if your event is a race or parade. Applicant may be required to notify all residents and businesses on the street(s) that are affected.
  • Certificate of Good Standing from the State of Colorado — required if sponsoring organization is a commercial or nonprofit business. Download a Certificate of Good Standing from the Colorado Secretary of State.
  • Certificate of Insurance — required for all events taking place on public streets, public buildings, city parks, and/or trails. Read City Code Section 3-3-11 for amounts and other details.
  • Permission of Property Owner — If the Sponsoring Organization owns or leases the venue, a copy of the venue's deed or lease is required. If the venue is owned by a third party, a permission letter from property owner is required.
  • Other documents not mentioned above may be required such as security plan, parking plan, medical plan, lighting plan, etc.

9. Multiple Events, One Permit?

Repeat events in one calendar year that are identical in character and impact on the city may be included in a single Event Permit Application, at the discretion of the event permit coordinator per City Code 3-3-4(A). These events must be in the same location with same times, event manager(s), equipment and logistics, street closures, medical and security requirements, documents, etc. For example, a weekly farmers’ market could qualify for one permit.

IMPORTANT: all dates must be included on the permit at the time of application. If future dates are added to your event after the permit has been submitted, a new application with new fees must be submitted, even if the event is identical to another event.

See the Special Event Liquor Permit for qualifications and limitations of multiple events for that permit.

10. Do you have everything you need?

Start your application >


Still have questions?
For information about displaying an event banner over Main Street, visit the Main Street Banners webpage.  For banner display on business properties, visit the Sign Code page or contact the community development department at 303-795-3748.

For all other event permit questions, contact the city's event permit coordinator at comkn@littletongov.org.