|David Linhart, c.1859; Mrs. David (Eliza) Linhart, c.1875.|
Pioneers David and Eliza Linhart came to Littleton in 1868. They had married in 1865 and later traveled to Colorado by covered wagon on the Oregon Trail. While in Kansas, their first child, Nellie, was born on July 12, 1868. When they arrived in Littleton, they moved into a house located where the Heckethorn Company later stood. Not long after that, the family moved to a homestead west of the Welte Cheese Ranch, southeast of Littleton. Then in 1876, they moved to a home north of Littleton in order for the children to attend school. During these years, David worked hauling logs to build houses and he became a skilled house builder.
Later, David's brother, Chris, joined him in Littleton. Chris built a house on Rapp Street. David built a home on Colorado Springs Road, and then purchased a house at 5559 S. Curtice Street. On Feb. 5, 1918 he deeded the Curtice property to Littleton.
|Mrs. David (Eliza) Linhart's ranch on Colorado Springs Road, c.1905.|
David and Eliza had six children: Nellie Cordelia (1868-1964); Thomas (1876-1921); Katherine (1884-1927); Ellis (1880-1890);Walter and William. Nellie married Andrew Stumph in 1897. Andrew passed away in 1899 at the age of 30. Nellie lived to the age of 96, never leaving Littleton. The pioneers, David and Eliza, lived well into the 20th century.
The Littleton Independent reported in August 1931 that 89-year-old David Linhart had suffered a slight stroke and was bed-ridden. David passed away in 1932, with Eliza preceding him in 1923. They are buried in the Littleton Cemetery.
Littleton (Colo.) Independent. The Littleton Independent Publishers, 1888-
Littleton Museum. Vertical File. Biography:
Photographs courtesy of the Littleton Museum unless otherwise noted. To order copies, contact the museum at 303-795-3950.
Compiled by Rebecca Dorward
Edited by Phyllis Larison and Lorena Donohue
Updated May 2017